Sunday, August 18, 2013

Tonight I was called Auntie

And my heart got tearful. I am an only child so any kind of 'sisterhood' or 'aunthood' comes through my husband or cousin's side of the family.
It is a rare honour and precious title and I feel so blessed that I am called by that name even though in truth, I am actually a cousin.
When I watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, the scenery was breathtaking o yes, but what I shall always remember, will be the incredible politeness and cultural ease of the instant honorific of 'auntie' or 'uncle' due to age and not familial relationship. It was later explained to me that anyone the same age as the parents of the children regardless of family ties are called 'auntie' or 'uncle'. I still smile every time my new cousin nephew Jesal calls me Auntie and no it doesn't make me feel old in the least! (I believe I do have a few years on his mother!) So tonight when I got a voicemail from my cousin niece Amanda asking if Auntie was available for wreath making: I danced inwardly and of course said yes.
Blessings to all Aunts and Uncles out there: related by blood or friendship

No comments:

Post a Comment