Saturday, December 21, 2013

An Island Winter Solstice

Today, we were invited to a Solstice Open House by Cynthia and Michael who live about an hour or so from us. With one eye on the weather (it had snowed two days before) and temperatures (it had been freezing) we were blessed by the Solstice fairy with misty rain and above zero C! Hooray, as the C and M's driveway is, can we say, challenging at best, and next to impossible in slush?
Before we left, we ensured good driving conditions by filling the bird feeder, knowing that this wonderful custom brings good luck during this time of the year.
At C and M's the groaning festal board was spread. This is only a partial photograph as all through the afternoon and on into the evening, platters of food such as smoked beef and chicken fresh from the smoker out on the balcony, were brought out along with a varieity of homemade liquers and spirits and of course Desserts!
It was not only a Feast for the eyes, but for the senses as well! I think Mr Bear and I rolled out there stuffed (as the Irish would say) like an egg.
Due to the fact that I had re-microfractured my heel (again) I played 'granny in the corner' and brought out my lucet and made wreaths for each couple that showed up. Here is a picture of Noreen learning how to lucet.
We had a wonderful time and tonight the drive home was a typical mild west coast winter drive; as Mr Bear remarked, 'this is the kind of westcoast Christmas that I love - wet and mild'.
****
Blessings of the Return of the Light to all who read this:
Tonight I light my Lantern for all those who are struggling against the Dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment