Saturday, March 29, 2014

Monkey's Gettin' Married - Saturday


Dear Karl:
If you are wondering about the header of this blog, it's a Trinidadian expression which I learned from my former co-worker Robin. He would crack open the blinds, look out on the rainbow making weather and say, 'monkey's gettin' married' today.'
I am also doing something a little different in that I am dedicating this post to you as a thank you for the recent support and kind words you have sent to me from which I quote an excerpt and thus the reason for this post... "and yes, by all means, keep sharing the little jems you find."
OK, Karl, for you, here are a few jems from the day :) (I like the spelling and will keep it).
I had received as part of my birthday largesse, a Dinters Nursery Gift Certificate from my cousins,Wayne, Dianne and Dawn (whom you met and did the diplomatic handshake..lol). How well they know me! Nothing could have been a more perfect gift and today we toodled off to plant heaven.
I used the gift certificate towards various purchases, including a BlueBird lace cap Hydrangea and will plant it in the front as a tribute to my recently departed friend Bette who had a similar hydrangea growing at the back of their house.  On the way back, we took the 'old' road which winds its way through the Cowichan tribal lands and at this time of the year, what I like to call, 'Glorious Abandonment' is very much in evidence. 
Old fruit trees, cherry, apple, pear, plum, planted a hundred years or more ago by the first settlers, still manage to bloom and against the dark green of the cedars and fir trees, make a fine showing. It is not unusual to see a tree in full white bloom at the edge of a swamp and because of it's position, you know it is probably a crabapple planted by birds.  
Mr Bear and I both think that ornamental fruit trees are downright silly, if you are going to plant a 'Fruit Tree' then by all means, let it bear fruit! I can appreciate that school yards and busy sidewalks don't want messy fruit dropping on the walk, but in a front yard?  We have a neighbour who has an ornamental cherry that must be at least 40 years old and it is showy, very showy, but only for a very brief time and then, bam, that's it. No fruit after all that waiting. As Nero Wolfe would say, 'phooey'.
Here are some shots on the way home, with fruit trees (both ornamental and bearing) and the bridge homeward.
Blessings to all who read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment